Sunday, October 3, 2010

The opening ceremony for the Commonwealth Games was held this evening in Mumbai. Until about a month ago, I've never heard of this thing...the Commonwealth Games...but apparently it's a pretty big deal for all nations that were once part of the British Empire (which is, incidentally, 54 nations...I had no idea it was so many!!). From what I understand, it's a lot like the Summer Olympics, except with lawn bowls. And I think every sporting event should incorporate lawn bowls some way.

With seven years to prepare, and having spent $15.5 billion (with a budget of $210 million), it's questionable what India has to show for it. Everyday in the the Indian Express, I read about England or New Zealand or Australia nearly pulling out of the games because of the unsafe or dirty conditions of the campus.

The opening ceremonies were the same as any opening ceremonies everywhere...singing, dancing, cultural activities. Having gone so far over budget, I think they were trying to make some money by showing five minutes of the ceremony, and fifteen minutes of ads in Hindi.

And of course, in true Indian fashion, the power went out, right after an "Incredible India" advertising.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! My friend Genie and I have committed to going to the Commonwealth games when they're in Glasgow in 2014. I'm soooooo excited! Miss you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those socks and sandals that man is wearing??? If so, he must be an Oregonian. hahhaha

    ReplyDelete