Friday, July 23, 2010

And the cankles persist. Yes, a little better than when I first arrived....perhaps I only look like I'm 200 lbs overweight today. The number of Aquafina bottles I've consumed in the last few days is substantial, but apparently not enough.

Did you know that it's Saturday here? I left on Tuesday, so I was pretty sure it was Wednesday... or something. Saturday really threw me for a loop. I had another extended nap today....but in my defense, I had only planned to rest for a half hour. Ergo, I am awake (again) at 2:40 am.

Was getting very frustrated trying to upload pics on my slightly shotty internet connection in my room, so I may have to go to the office in order to take advantage of full bandwidth. I'll try to do that soon!

So, the basic set up. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner is prepared for us. I now have no hopes of returning from India any skinnier, as the food is delicious, parasite-free, and definitely not lacking in calories. I wouldn't be surprised if I instead returned very fat. It would be easy enough to contract a parasite, somewhere....

I live in one of the small boys' homes--they're 4-6 and so cute (although sometimes naughty) and affectionate! I was put here, essentially, to speak English to them, as they only get a little bit of English in school at this point.

Let me tell you, I'm very popular with the small boys--somewhat of a celebrity, I should say. They don't know much English, and mostly just babble animatedly at me, but they do know enough to ask me what my name is and call me "Mommy" (I watched Monsters, Inc. with them, and apparently they know the name for monster, as well....so they've got the basics covered). When they first saw me, they just stared, but now most of them have gotten brazen enough to crawl all over me. My skin is quite peculiar to them. They love to touch my face--I wonder if they think I'm real! One boy grabbed my hand and studied it intensely. He pointed at the skin on the underneath my forearm (the realllllly white stuff) and said "Oooooh!" Not to mention, I tower over most of the petite Indian women, so they probably think I'm some very white giant.

I toured the school where I'm to teach music. It's actually really well equipped! They have an assortment of random instruments....lots of drums, guitars without strings, a trumpet, clarinet, flutes, and even a keyboard! They also have a room equipped with wireless and speakers where I can play CDs, DVDs, and would be able to show video clips on the internet. It's a lot more than I was expecting.

I also visited the "dispensary" (the medical clinic) and the baby's home, where I'll be helping the nurses.

It's pretty hot and sticky right now, but I've still yet to turn on the air conditioning. I'll become acclimated...eventually....but right now I just sweat a lot all hours of the day.....

3 comments:

  1. I love it! More! It sounds like you are having quite an adventure! Cant wait to hear more! and see some pictures! :) Take care of you! :)xoxo
    bean

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweating is good - will help rid you of the cankles! Don't turn on the AC...be bold, live it!! Miss you already - come back and work on the MicroD stuff!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a secret to tell you. I have lived here for nearly 1 yr and have learned that the locals are bigger pansies than us students and have the A/C on much more than we do. So, don't feel like tooooo much of a pansy :) And it is ok to give in once in a while!

    ReplyDelete